It is interesting to see which patterns take off within the sewing community, some attaining something akin to household name status. For example, you could say you made an Archer and most home sewers would know what you meant (at least any who have sewn with indie patterns). I feel the Inari has reached this status as well, and I will be the first to admit that it is a tad baffling. I have wanted to make this pattern for a while now to see what all the fuss is about, but the price tag is pretty steep at almost $20 Canadian. I figured I could draft something similar because it is so simple, but I finally bit the bullet and went for it to save the time. I am quite pleased with the make overall, I still can’t say I fully understand the hype.
The Inari is a cocooned-shaped sack dress with set in sleeves and sleeve cuffs. The neckline can be finished with a facing or a neckband, and the dress can be sewn with knits and wovens. A t-shirt variation is also included in the pattern, so it does offer quite a lot of bang for your buck. The defining feature of the Inari is that the side seam is swooped forward to create a more flattering shape around the bum and add visual interest to the garment as a whole. I love this side seam and do agree with other reviews that it is very well drafted and creates a nice, comfortable shape.
I also agree with many of the reviews out there about the sleeves being uncomfortable and the armscye being too low. I wanted to see how the pattern fit as-is, so I didn’t make any changes to the sleeves as recommended by others. I would definitely make the adjustments next time, because the cuffs cut into my arms when I put them all the way forward, and the dress rides up to an almost indecent level when I raise my arms (see the video below). I love the way the sleeves sit when my arms are down, and this version is still very wearable, so it wasn’t a total fail.
I have been trying to find a good pattern to match up with this cool patchwork print. I figured the Inari would work well because the print is so large, I wanted to be able to show it off without any folds, tucks, or gathers. It took me some time to decide how to place the print and I am very happy with how it turned out. I couldn’t get the sleeves to match at the shoulder seams, but I did cut both sleeves the same, so they match and have nice little pointed details right on the shoulder – so cute, right?! The fabric is rayon challis and I got it at Dressew supply here in Vancouver. There is still some left!
Would I make the Inari again? My gut says I probably will, once I get the sleeves sorted out it is a fantastic day dress, and I love a good loose fitting silhouette. I still don’t know exactly why this dress has had such success with the sewing community, given the struggles I have read about concerning the sleeve fit. the only thing I can guess is that sometimes the simplest things are the most fun to sew and the first things to be worn out of the wash.
PS: I sewed this whole thing with my new serger and it was SO FREAKING FAST! I tacked down the neck facing and tacked up the arms bands by hand.
Pattern: Inari Tee Dress by Named
Fabric: Rayon Challis from Dressew Supply
Sewing Time: 2.5 hours (not including cutting time, including hand sewing details)
Alterations: None, but next time I plan to raise the armscye
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get updates about new blog posts and patterns from Helen's Closet!